Gifted Student Program
The Gifted Student Program (GSP) at Lockmar offers enrichment services to students in grades K- 6. Each grade level has a specific time during the week in which students are pulled out of the general education classroom to receive enrichment services. Throughout the year, the students will learn to function in various leadership roles, and to contribute effectively to the efforts of the larger team or group. Instruction will focus on many types of problem solving, including individual and group work, and will include studies in such areas as Mathematics, Science, & Social Studies; all of which require higher level thinking skills and ability to derive information from what they read!! I encourage you to have your child read at least 20 minutes each evening – from both fiction and informational books.
Distant Learning Information
- Office hours: M-Th 8:30am to 11:30am
- Google voice: 321-701-3269
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you so much for your flexibility and patience as we move to an online learning platform for your student’s education. To ensure that your student is getting their enrichment needs met, I have developed a choice board of activities for your student to choose from. These can be found in our GSP Google Classroom. Every Friday, I will post a new choice board for the upcoming week. I recommend that your student choose 2 or 3 of the activities and upload documentation to the assignments section of our Google Classroom. Your student is not required to complete the activities found on the choice board. They are at you and your student’s discretion to complete. The enrichment activities do not take the place of assignments required by your student’s general education teacher.
To login to Google Classroom:
- Select the Google Apps – Learn
- Select the Apps icon at the top right of the page.
- Select Classroom.
2019 – 2020 Schedule of Services (Subject to change)
1st Grade Wednesday 1:20 – 2:10
2nd Grade Monday 11:00 – 1:10
3rd Grade Monday 8:15 – 11:00
4th Grade Thursday 8:15 – 11:40
5th Grade Tuesday (A) 8:45 – 10:45
(B) 11:15 – 1:15
6th Grade Wednesday 8:30 – 12:00
FAQ's About Qualification and Placement
1. How does a child qualify for the gifted program?
- A student is eligible for special programs for the gifted if he/she demonstrates the following: superior intellectual development with an intelligence quotient of two standard deviations or more above the mean
- A majority of characteristics of gifted children
- A need for a special program for the gifted
2. Who can refer a child for evaluation for possible gifted placement?
- Referrals for screening and evaluations for the gifted student program can be made by the child's teacher or other staff member, the parents/guardians or in some cases by the child.
3. When can a child be referred for the gifted program?
- In Florida, children can be referred when they are of school age (at Lockmar, grades k-6.)
If you would like more information regarding the qualification process, please email Mrs. Lindsay Nichols at Nichols.email@example.com
There are many great resources on the Internet for parents of gifted learners. Some sites you may want to visit include:
• Brevard County GSP Parent Connection
• Information and support about nature and needs of gifted students.
• Mensa, the high IQ society, provides a forum for intellectual exchange among its members. There are members in more than 100 countries around the world.
• Support the needs of the high potential learners.
• TIP provides above grade-level testing, advanced learning opportunities, challenging resources, and special recognition for achievement.
• Summer programs, residential, day, online classes