Creating Source Citations with MLA 8
Key differences from MLA 7 (all in creating Works Cited entries):
- One standard method applies to every source type
- There is not one "right" method for citations; there is flexibility for the type of source you are using
- URLs are now included (no http:)
- Vol., no., and pp. now included for volume, number, and page numbers.
- Authors can be usernames (sources must still be credible)
- Omitting the publisher (if the same as website title)
- Omitting publication city
- Clarification on shortening long titles
- The use of containers
Containers are the elements that “hold” the source. For example, if a television episode is watched on Netflix, Netflix is the container. Both the title of the source and its container are included in a citation.
How do I cite a source from the electronic databases?
- Click Citation Tools
- Choose Noodle Tools
- VIDEO Tutorial
How do I create a hanging indent (where every line but the first is indented) for my Works Cited page?
In Google Drive:
- Find the ruler at the top of the document
- Click on the little triangle and move the margin to the .5 mark
- Then, click the little rectangle and move it back to the 0 mark
- Here's what it should look like when you are done:
In Microsoft Office 2007 and later:
- Highlight text
- Right click and choose Paragraph
- Change the Special tab to Hanging (might as well Double space while you are at it)