West Shore's gifted students have many opportunities to accelerate and enrich their learning. The acceleration mechanisms inherent in the design of West Shore, provide an opportunity to individualize learning based on individual strengths and maturity. Taking high school courses in the middle school years, college Dual Enrollment, Advanced Placement classesand Early Admissions are just a few of the ways that students can progress at their own rate.Classroom teachers modify content, process and pace in their classes for those gifted students who need enrichment in their regular classes. Service Learning is also considered one of the best practices for serving gifted students. Because service learning involves the identification of a problem and direct action to improve the situation, it provides a real life laboratory to implement and extend the concepts learned in school.
Mr. Glenn Webb is also the gifted coordinator at West Shore. In this role he supports students, parents and staff in helping gifted students receive an appropriate education. He also works with staff to develop classroom resources as well as with individual and small groups of gifted students who need more academic enrichment and extension. Students and parents may contact him with any questions or concerns. Students of 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th grade will be contacted to assist in the development of their educational plans.
West Shore's gifted homerooms are comprised of all gifted students. The Homeroom Advisor is a Gifted Endorsed teacher, who has been trained in nurturing the gifted student. The curriculum in gifted homerooms has been specially designed to meet the needs and challenge the gifted learner.
The homeroom components in their year long schedule are as follows:
- Team Building
- Reading Component
- Character Education and Service Learning
- Career Component
- Team Building
- American Association for Gifted Children (AAGC)
- Association for the Gifted (TAG-Council for Exceptional Children)
- Davidson Institute for Talent Development
- Gifted-Children.com: Identification, Encouragement, and Development (GCC)
- Hoagies - Recognized provider for gifted education
- National Association for the Gifted
- Odyssey of the Mind
- Space Coast Future Problem Solving (FPS)
- Supporting Emotional Needs of the Gifted (SENG)
- Talent Identification Program (TIP), Duke University
- Testing Prep
- World Council for Gifted and Talented Children
- Writing and Math Tutorials: Distance Education for Talented Youth (Johns Hopkins