New Resident to Brevard County
K-12 Open Enrollment Options
Brevard Public Schools (BPS) offers Florida residents Open Enrollment options through an Educational Location Option (ELO) or Educational Program Opportunity (EPO). An ELO application allows a student to attend a school outside their zoned school of attendance and an EPO application allows a student to attend a school offering a specific program with a curriculum connection not offered at their zoned school of attendance. For a list of programs offered at the schools, view the District Educational Program Opportunity (EPO) Matrix.
BPS Open Enrollment options have published annual application deadlines. Families, who relocate to Brevard, from outside the county/state, are permitted to apply during the open ELO or EPO timelines. However, if the relocation occurs beyond the deadlines, families will be permitted to apply for an ELO or EPO provided the following required stipulations are met.
NOTE: Transitioning active duty military families relocating to Brevard County, outside of the application deadlines, are exempt from this process and must contact the Patrick Air Force Base family liaison.
- Schools/Programs must have capacity to accept new students; in compliance with class size amendment (FL Stat. §1003.03) and BPS policy 5121
- Schools/Programs may NOT have an existing “waitlist” of previous students who applied
- Student must NOT be enrolled in a Brevard County traditional school, charter school, home education program, virtual school, or private school
- Parent/Guardian must provide two (2) recent proofs of residency, one from each of the following tiers, with an address from out of county/state:
Tier 1 – out of county/state
- State Identification (i.e., Driver’s License, State issued ID card)
- Homestead Exemption Card or Warranty Deed
- Lease/Rental Agreement (with parent/guardian as the renter) valid within the prior two months
- Home sales contract (with expected closing date within 60 days)
Tier 2 – out of county/state
- Utilities statement (within last 30-45 days)
- Voter registration card
- Vehicle Registration or Title
- Current homeowner’s insurance policy or bill
- Current automobile insurance policy or bill
In County Requirements
Parent/Guardian must provide two (2) proofs of current Brevard County residency from the examples below:
- A letter from employer, printed on company letterhead, with a statement of employment relocation, transfer and/or new hire with effective dates
- New Florida state identification card (i.e., Driver’s License, State issued ID card)
- Lease/Rental Agreement (with parent/guardian as the renter) valid within 45 days
- Home purchase agreement (with expected closing date within 60 days)
- A utility hook up or work order within 60 days
- Transportation is the responsibility of the parent/guardian
How to apply:
1. Carefully read the Terms and Conditions for applying
2. Complete the online form for consideration. To access the online form, click here
3. Create an Open Enrollment account (Family Dashboard) accessible at https://www.brevardschools.org/Page/3635
Upload the four (4) required proofs of residency documents (Note: the proofs of residnecy on the Family Dashboard site will only ask for two (2), you MUST upload all four (4):
- Two (2) documents outside of Brevard
- Two (2) documents within Brevard
After you have completed the process of How to Apply above, the district will contact you with further information.
Brevard County Traditional Schools for the 2020/2021 School Year:
Brevard Public Schools closes selected public schools and/or grade levels to open enrollment for “New Resident to Brevard County” requests based on the building capacity at the school, class size at each grade level and existing waitlists. Based on the factors listed, the following public schools may be consider.
Note: If applicable, there may need to be further consideration to assure that the requested school has the ability to accommodate your child’s needs as stated on their Individual Education Plan (IEP) or Section 504 Accommodation Plan.
Review the school lists below for city/geographic location and grade level(s) for consideration. You will be required to provide the names of two schools for consideration on the online form.
Junior/Senior High Schools
For further assistance, please contact Leading and Learning - Open Enrollment at (321) 633-1000 extension 11395.