Attention Substitutes: Effective June 1, 2022, fees are being waived for the 5-year resubmission of fingerprints for all Substitutes until August 2024.
The district has approved an additional $25 for full-day and $12.50 for half-day if you work as a Substitute Teacher at one of the following schools:
Apollo Elementary School Fairglen Elementary School Southwest Middle School Cocoa Jr/Sr High School Gardendale Separate Day School Stone Middle School Creel Elementary School Madison Middle School Endeavour Elementary School Oak Park Elementary School
We are still offering an additional $20 a full day or $10 a half day for working as a Substitute Teacher at the following schools:
Astronaut High School Imperial Estates Elementary School Palm Bay High School Cambridge Elementary School Jackson Middle School Riviera Elementary School Columbia Elementary School Johnson Middle School Sabal Elementary School Coquina Elementary School McNair Middle School Saturn Elementary School Croton Elementary School Mims Elementary School Turner Elementary School Golfview Elementary School Palm Bay Elementary School University Park Elementary School
Brevard Public Schools uses an automated service called Red Rover to manage substitute jobs. Red Rover is available 24/7 to search for and accept or decline available jobs, set up your calendar, and view upcoming assignments or past assignments. To sign into Red Rover, click here. Should you experience difficulty using the Red Rover system, please contact 633-1000 x11205 or firstname.lastname@example.org
General Substitute Information
- A BPS substitute teacher’s job is to instruct our students in the absence of their regular teachers. Substitutes must follow the lesson plans of the regular teachers and strive to maintain normal classroom and discipline procedures.
- As a substitute, you may not bring personal items into the classroom such as personal laptop computers, blue tooth devices, cell phones (please turn them off) or ANY other electronic devices for your personal use.
- Substitutes will be excluded and/or terminated as a substitute for the use of any personal items (Including but not limited to: personal laptop computers, blue tooth devices, cell phones (of any kind), tablets (of any kind), books, magazines, handheld games, radios (of any kind), headphones, handheld tv's, etc.) during classroom time.
- As a substitute, you may not use any school district computer unless it is to be used as part of the lesson plan that you are required to follow.
- Please remember:
- That each day that the substitute teacher is in the classroom is still a day of education for our students.
- You must follow all lesson plans and instructions that have been left by the classroom teacher.
- You may never bypass the classroom teachers instructions.
- Teacher Substitutes are expected to stay and work as assigned by the principal or the principal’s designee in order to be paid for the full absence whether it is 4 hours or the full day of 7.5 hours.
- Substitutes will be paid for only the hours they actually worked if they choose to leave earlier than the designated absence end time. The substitute hourly rate has not changed.
- The principal or the principal's designee can assign the substitute to other appropriate duties. The principal or the principal's designee shall determine whether substitutes will be responsible for the extra-curricular duties assigned to the regular teacher.
- Any experience gained as a substitute teacher will not count towards experience for pay purposes if hired as a full-time regular employee.
- Absences for Substitute Teachers ONLY shall be scheduled for ½ day (4 hours) or for a full day (7.5 hours with 30 minutes of lunch outside of the paid time) and shall be paid accordingly for their service.
- If the 4 hour absence is scheduled in such a way that also includes a 30 minute lunch period and the substitute elects to take lunch, the substitute will not be paid for the full 4 hours.
- If the 4 hour absence includes a lunch period and the substitute wishes to be paid for the entire 4 hour absence, the substitute must report to the main office for an extra duty assignment to cover the ½ hour lunch time.
- The extra duty assignment may be given at the beginning of the 4 hour absence. If extra duty was not assigned at the beginning of the absence, the substitute must report to the main office for an extra duty assignment in order to be paid for the entire 4 hour absence.
- If the substitute does not report for a duty assignment, it will be assumed that the substitute took lunch and the 30 minutes will be deducted accordingly.
Still have questions? Click here to visit the Substitute FAQs page.