Welcome to Athletics
2021-22 Cheer Team Information
There will be an athlete and parent meeting to discuss cheer team tryouts and other details Tuesday, April 13th at 6:00 pm, on the outdoor patio at West Shore. Tryouts will be April 16th, 20th, 27th, 28th, and 29th from 3:30-5:30 pm in the gym.
COVID-19 POLICIES FOR ATHLETIC EVENT SPECTATORS - WEST SHORE HOME GAMES/MEETS/MATCHES
Due to COVID-19, Brevard Public Schools has released guidelines for all schools to follow regarding spectators:
- Spectators are required to wear face coverings when social distancing between other family groups cannot be maintained. They should always practice physical distancing with those outside of their direct family parties.
- Spectators are restricted from direct competition areas and from visiting with student-athletes and personnel before, during, and after events. They will not congregate in walkways, hallways, common traffic areas, or gymnasiums.
- Also, we can only allow 50% of a facilities capacity.
Away competitions may have different guidelines and capacities. It is up to the schools we are visiting to determine their standards.
Brevard County School Board passes policy requiring heart-screenings for student-athletes
The School Board of Brevard County has passed a policy that makes electrocardiogram (ECG) tests mandatory for all student athletes.
Electrocardiograms help identify athletes who may be at risk for sudden death from loss of heart function. An ECG may also assist with diagnosing several different heart conditions that put athletes at risk.
To make testing accessible to more students, BPS has partnered with Who We Play For (WWPF), a nonprofit organization committed to protecting student athletes through heart screenings. It also published lists of doctors and urgent-care centers that provide ECG testing.
ECG Testing is now required for all sports. BPS has added an ECG-related form to all 2020-2021 athletic packets. All student-athletes in grades 7-12, who plan on participating in sports, will need a completed ECG form. The ECG form requires students and their parents to take one of the following options:
- Record that testing has been done in the past and is on file at West Shore;
- Give WWPF consent to administer an ECG at one of numerous school-based screening events;
- Record that testing has been done by a private health provider;
- Acknowledge the risks from sudden cardiac arrest and not being tested, but opt out of testing for personal reasons.
Students who qualify for free or reduced-price lunch at schools are eligible for free screenings through Who We Play For.
If a students’ test results – sent directly to parents, not BPS – indicates they need “follow-up” or have a “high risk” designation, they will not be allowed to participate in athletics until they obtain medical releases indicating that they met with a doctor and have been cleared participate in athletics.
If parents/guardians have a previously completed ECG or would like their child to have an ECG completed by their personal physician, documentation should be included as part of the required physical forms. If an ECG has been performed by Who We Play For, a copy of the email from WWPF confirming the test will need to be submited with the rest of the eligibility packet.
Parents can find a listing of upcoming dates and locations for ECG screenings by visiting WWPF’s website at: https://www.whoweplayfor.org/screening
The following is a public service announcement created by the athletes from the Cape Coast Conference. The student athletes in the Cape Coast Conference pride themselves on sportsmanship and fair play. What athletes and spectators do and say during sports events is a reflection on your team, school, community, and most importantly yourself. Good Luck and enjoy the event.
All High School sports tryouts (including dance and cheer) can be found by clicking on the link. If you would like information concerning a specific sport, please contact the head coach of that sport. A list of all of our head coach's contact info can be found by clicking the link below titled "Head Coach Contact List". Thank you!