In order to provide a safe, positive and academically focused environment we will be enforcing the following dress code at MILA Elementary for the 2015-2016 school year. Please consider this code when shopping for school wear.
Disruption of Education – (Refer to School Board Rule 6Gx5-4.12):
Any clothing or hair style/color that causes a disruption of the educational environment or is deemed to be unsafe will be prohibited.
- Heelys (sneakers with wheels), backless sandals, flip flops, thongs, bedroom slippers, metal toed shoes, or high heels are not considered appropriate.
- Shoes that require laces should be laced and tied.
Pants cannot be more than 1 size larger than the waist.
- Pants should not be so long that they cause a safety hazard.
- Skirts, shorts, dresses, or skorts that are too short, too tight, or too revealing are prohibited.
- Shirts should not be longer than skirts, shorts, or skorts.
- Purposely torn holes, tears, cutoffs, or rips in clothing are considered inappropriate.
- Tights, spandex, or leggings are not to be worn as pants.
- Garments that do not cover the midriff or are strapless, backless, see through or low cut are considered inappropriate.
- Sleeveless shirts that have inappropriately large armholes so that under garments or excessive skin shows are not allowed.
- Shirts with crude, vulgar, violent or suggestive phrases and/or graphics on them, as well as those which make reference to drugs are prohibited.
- Clothing advertising alcoholic beverages, tobacco, bars, lounges and the like are prohibited.
- Clothing displaying TV or movies which promote violence, gangs, offensive or sexual content or other forms of disruptive behavior are considered inappropriate and are prohibited.
Safety and Other Concerns
- For safety reasons, any article of clothing or jewelry that may cause injury is not allowed. (For example, bracelets with pointed metal studs.)
- Any jewelry item that makes reference to the drug, alcohol, or gang scene is prohibited.
- Extreme hairstyles and hair colors are prohibited.
- Hats, caps, bandanas, curlers, or sunglasses are not to be worn in the building.
- Makeup may not be brought to school.
- There is to be no grooming in the classroom or the cafeteria.