Media Acquisition Policies
The primary objective of instructional materials and equipment shall be to enrich, support, and implement the educational program of the school. As the
center of the educational program, the LMC provides materials and services that meet academic, technical, personal, and social needs of the school community.
To this end, the School Board of Brevard County subscribes to the principles laid down in the Library Bill of Rights and affirms that it is the responsibility of the school library media center to support these principles.
The objectives for Selection are:
• To make available a wide range of materials on varying levels of difficulty with a diversity of
appeal compatible with the different needs, interests, and viewpoints of students and teachers.
• To provide materials which strengthen and enrich the school’s instructional program.
• To provide materials that will stimulate growth in literary appreciation, aesthetic values, and
• To provide materials representative of the many religious, ethnic, cultural, and language group,
and of their contribution to the heritage and culture of America and the world.
• To place principle above personal opinion and reason above prejudice in the selection of
materials appropriate for the users of the school library media center.
NOTE: The district does not maintain a list of approved books or videos. Rather, the objectives and
criteria for selection should guide the certified library media specialist in collection development.