Viera, FL – On Monday, Brevard Public Schools (BPS) hosted Brevard Federation of Teachers Union (BFT) in a third round of contract negotiations ahead of the 2022-2023 school year. Both sides worked quickly and effectively together, which led to tentative agreements in five areas.
- Premium Pay: Brevard Public Schools will use $19,835,280 in multiple premium payments to teachers over the course of the next several months. This is something that was agreed upon last week but both sides updated some of the details:
- One-time pay of $1000 for all teachers who were employed 5/27/22 and are active 8/15/22 which will be on paid September 15, 2022.
- One-time premium pay of $1000 for all teachers who have completed 8 years with BPS and are active on 8/15/22 will be paid on September 15, 2022.
- One-time premium pay of $1200 for all teachers active on October 14, 2022 to be on paid November 15, 2022.
- One-time premium pay of $1200 for all teachers active on January 27, 2023 to be paid on February 28, 2023.
- Leapfrogging Memo of Agreement: Leapfrogging can happen when a teacher joins Brevard County and is placed at a higher salary than a current BPS teacher based on teaching experience outside of Brevard County. BPS and BFT have agreed to work together to identify the affected teachers and adjust compensation.
- Enhanced Supplements for school years 2022, 2023 and 2024 paid through ESSER grants.
- COVID Leave: Both sides agreed to an additional five days of Covid Leave for school year 2022-23.
- TSIA SY22 correction which raises minimum base to $47,000 and provides a $200 salary adjustment to teachers who originally received $45 yet remain above the new minimum of $47000.
Overall, this was a very productive day for BPS and BFT. Contract negotiations will resume on June 2nd.