November 4-8, 2019
The Viera High Academic Team won their match Monday night in a come from behind victory over West Shore, Eau Gallie, Satellite, Bayside, and Merritt Island. Viera currently sits in 4th place out of 18 county teams with three more matches before the county championship in December. Congrats on this important win.
The Viera HS Army JROTC Raider Teams competed in the Brevard County State Army JROTC Raider Regional Championships this past Saturday at the Veterans Memorial Center in Merritt Island. I’m very pleased to announce both our Male and Female Raider Teams placed 2nd in the Regional Championship. In fact, our Female Raider Team actually qualified for the State Championship because their overall score. There were a total of 21 Teams that competed and we are so proud that our teams competed at such an elite level.
HOLIDAY HELP: If you are in need for the holidays, please contact the School Social Worker, Sarina Coello at 321-632-1770 x28019 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline is November 8.
Last week, letters were sent home with the 10th grade students who will be participating in the Writing Field test on November 19, 2019. The purpose of the ELA Writing Field Test is to assess newly-developed writing prompts, which may be used on future operational assessments. Student scores will not be reported for this field test; however, participation in the field test is an opportunity for your student to become familiar with the format of the writing component of the operational FSA ELA assessment that he or she will take in Spring 2020.
We are happy to announce that we have hired an additional guidance counselor to meet the needs of our students. Mr. Cotter is returning as a counselor and will be the guidance counselor for students in 9th grade. The only exception to this will be Academy students and ESE students. Below are the responsibilities of each guidance counselor:
Heidi Fink – Academy Students – Grades 9-12
Jim Cotter – Grade 9 (except Academy & ESE students)
Barbara Jones – students with last names A – D in Grades 10 – 12
Delfina Gomez - students with last names E – K in Grades 10 – 12
Catherine Sinclair - students with last names L-M in Grades 10 – 12 & Collegiate High School (Grades 10 & 11)
Julie Flajole, Guidance Director – students with last names N – St & Collegiate High School (Grade 12)
Joe Capalbo – students with last names Su-Z & ESE Students
Sarina Coello – Social Worker
As Fall sports finish up, we accomplished many athletic milestones this season!
Congratulation to the following teams:
- Girls Golf Cape Coast Conference Champions
- Girls Golf District Champions
- Briana Gabe finishes 11th in the State for Girls Golf
- Boys Golf Cape Coast Conference Runner-up
- Boys Golf 4th place finish at District Tournament
- Volleyball District Runner-up
- Girls Cross Country Cape Coast Conference Champions
- Boys Cross Country Cape Coast Conference Runner-up
- Girls Swimming 3rd place finish at Cape Coast Conference
- Boys Swimming 7th place finish at Cape Coast Conference
- Girls Swimming District Champions
- Boys Swimming District Runner-up
- Football District Champions
- Boys Bowling 4th place finish at Districts
- Boys Cross Country 3rd place finish at Districts
- Girls Cross Country 4th place finish at Districts
With winter sports beginning this week, please be sure to complete your child’s online clearance on athleticclearance.fhsaahome.org prior to attending tryouts. Please see the Viera High School website for more details regarding this process under the Athletics tab.
Athletics / Activities for Week of November 4 – November 9
- November 4, 2019 – Boys Basketball Tryouts at the Viera High Gymnasium at 5:30 pm
- November 5, 2019 – Brevard All County Band Auditions at Viera High School at 4:00 pm
- November 5, 2019 – Boys Basketball Tryouts at the Viera High Gymnasium at 5:30 pm
- November 7, 2019 – Band Veterans Day Concert in the Viera High Auditorium at 6:30 pm
- November 8, 2019 – Varsity Football First Round of Regionals vs. Tampa Tech at Viera High School at 7:30 pm
- Admission per FHSAA: $8
- November 9, 2019 – Cross Country State Meet in Tallahassee at 7:00 am
- November 9, 2019 – Swimming Regional Meet at Lakeland Gandy Pool at 9:30 am
Sarah Robinson, Principal