Week of February 24-28
It was great to see many of our parents come out to parent conference night last week. There are only a few weeks left in the third quarter so I encourage you to continue to monitor your student’s grades on Focus, talk with your student about his or her classes, and reach out to your student’s teachers and guidance counselors if you have any questions or concerns. We are all here to work with you and your student to ensure his or her success.
We have many exciting student achievements to celebrate from the past week. This past weekend at Odyssey of the Mind Regionals (at VHS), both of our teams took their respective first place gold medals! Both teams will next compete on April 11, 2020 at the State Finals at the Orange County Convention Center for a chance to go to the Odyssey of the Mind World Finals at Iowa State University in late May. On Saturday, two Viera Business Academy teams from our junior class competed in the final round of the 2020 Junior Achievement Business Blastoff Challenge and won first and second place. Our students won first place for their SafeSchool door which features an impenetrable dual locking mechanism designed to protect classroom intruders. They won $3,000 cash prize and $12,000 renewable scholarships for FIT for four years. Another group of students won second place for their new fishing lure made from recycled hard lead and nylon fibers. They won $1,500 cash prize and $10,000 renewable scholarship for FIT for four years. Students all over Brevard competed in this “Shark Tank” style competition by developing a product, creating a business plan, making a prototype, and creating an advertisement video and a Powerpoint Presentation. The 28 teams presented last week at EFSC and defended their ideas in front of judging panels made up of regional business and community leaders. Only four teams advanced to the final round on Saturday at FIT which were two teams from Bayside and two teams from our Business Academy. I also want to celebrate our athletic achievements from the past week. Congratulations to our Girls Soccer Team and our Boys Basketball Team on their accomplishments!
Attention Class of 2020 Families: A Senior Breakfast is planned for Thursday, May 21, 2020. Please use the below Sign Up Genius link to help create this special event for our Senior Class to enjoy a shared meal before graduation ceremony rehearsal. Volunteers to set up, clean up, cook, bake, drop off, shop or obtain breakfast donations are all necessary to make this event a success. Thank you for your support! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/904094CACAF2EA46-class
Below are some important dates for testing for you and your student to be aware of within the next few weeks:
2/24-2/26: FSA ELA Retakes
2/27-2/28: Algebra 1 Retakes for seniors
3/4: SAT for juniors and select seniors
All juniors will be taking the SAT on March 4, 2020, beginning at 8:45 AM and continuing through 6th period. Each student should bring two non-mechanical, sharpened, number 2 pencils and a photo ID. Basic 4 function calculators will be provided, but students may also bring a Collegeboard approved calculator. The list of calculators can be found on the SAT website, https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/
Collegeboard has teamed up with Khan Academy to create a practice site geared specifically towards the SAT. The “Official SAT Practice” can be found at www.SATpractice.org. We encourage our students to use this preparation, as it is free and individualized practice.
Below are important policies for your student to be aware of prior to testing. Please review these guidelines with your student before testing:
Electronic Devices—Students are not permitted to have any electronic devices, including, but not limited to, cell phones, smartphones, and smartwatches, at any time during testing or during breaks (e.g., restroom), even if the devices are turned off or students do not use them. If your student is found with an electronic device, his or her test will be invalidated.
- Calculators—For EOC assessments, approved calculators may be used during Session 2 only. If students have handheld calculators during Session 1, their tests will be invalidated.
Testing Rules Acknowledgment—All FSA tests include a Testing Rules Acknowledgment that reads: “I understand the testing rules that were just read to me. If I do not follow these rules, my test score may be invalidated.” Prior to testing, test administrators read the rules to students, and students acknowledge that they understand the testing rules by signing below the statement on their planning sheets, worksheets, or work folders.
Discussing Test Content after Testing—The last portion of the testing rules read to students before they sign below the Testing Rules Acknowledgment states: “Because the content of all statewide assessments is secure, you may not discuss or reveal details about the test content (including test items, passages, and prompts) after the test. This includes any type of electronic communication, such as texting, emailing, or posting online, for example, on Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, or Instagram.” Please make sure your student understands that “discussing” test content includes any kind of electronic communication, such as texting, emailing, posting to social media, or sharing online. While students may not share information about secure test content after testing, this policy is not intended to prevent students from discussing their testing experiences with their parents/families.
- Working Independently—Students are responsible for doing their own work during the test and for protecting their answers from being seen by others. If students are caught cheating during testing, their tests will be invalidated. In addition, the Florida Department of Education (FDOE) employs Caveon Test Security to analyze student test results to detect unusually similar answer patterns. Student tests within a school that are found to have extremely similar answer patterns will be invalidated.
- Leaving Campus—If your student leaves campus before completing a test session (e.g., for lunch, an appointment, illness), he or she will not be allowed to return to that test session. If your student does not feel well on the day of testing, it may be best for him or her to wait and be tested on a make-up day. Please remember not to schedule appointments on testing days.
- Testing Accommodations—If your student has an Individual Education Plan (IEP), a Section 504 Plan, or is an English Language Learner (ELL), please contact the school to discuss the testing accommodations that will be provided for your student.
Update from Guidance: College visit change! FIT is now visiting Viera High School on Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 8:00 AM in the VHS auditorium. If you are a senior planning on attending or an underclassmen with FIT possibly on your horizon, please join us for this informative session.
Athletics / Activities for Week of February 24 – February 28, 2020
- Monday, February 24, 2020
- Girls Lacrosse at Edgewood at 5:30 & 7:00 pm
- JV Baseball at Rockledge at 6:00 pm
- Varsity Baseball vs. Satellite at USSSA Stadium at 6:00 pm
- Tuesday, February 25, 2020
- Softball vs. Satellite at USSSA at 6:00 pm
- Girls Tennis at Heritage at 4:00 pm
- Boys Lacrosse at Edgewood at 5:30 & 7:00 pm
- JV Baseball vs. Merritt Island at USSSA at 6:00 pm
- Boys Tennis vs. Heritage on HAWK Courts at 4:00 pm
- Wednesday, February 26, 2020
- Girls Lacrosse vs. Merritt Island at HAWK Stadium at 5:30 & 7:00 pm
- Varsity Baseball at Cocoa Beach at 6:00 pm
- Track at Merritt Island at 4:00 pm
- Thursday, February 27, 2020
- Softball at Rockledge at 6:00 pm
- Girls Tennis vs. Bayside on HAWK Courts at 4:00 pm
- Boys Lacrosse vs. Merritt Island at HAWK Stadium at 5:30 & 7:00 pm
- JV Baseball at Titusville at 6:00 pm
- Boys Tennis at Bayside at 4:00 pm
- Friday, February 28, 2020
- Boys Lacrosse at Lake Mary at 5:30 & 7:00 pm
- Track at Satellite at 4:00 pm
- Saturday, February 29, 2020
- Wrestling Regional Tournament at Bayside at 9:00 am
Congrats to Jackson Hatfield & Andrew Pinzon on winning Wrestling Districts in their weight class this past weekend!
Congrats to all winter sports on their accomplishments!
- Girls Basketball – District Runner-Up
- Boys Basketball – DISTRICT CHAMPIONS!
- Girls Soccer – DISTRICT CHAMPIONS, REGIONAL CHAMPIONS, CAPE COAST CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS
- Top 4 in the state
- Boys Soccer – District Runner-Up
Good luck to wrestling as they continue in post season, we are rooting for you!
Sarah Robinson, Principal