VHS Parent Update July 22 2020
Dear Viera Families,
I hope you are having a safe and enjoyable summer. Thank you for your feedback, suggestions, and questions regarding school opening procedures. We acknowledge that families have many difficult decisions to make for the upcoming school year and want you to be aware of all of the enrollment options available to your student so that you can make the right decision for your student. To help us prepare for the upcoming year, please read this letter in its entirety in order to familiarize yourself with the options for your student. Last week we put out an initial survey to our families. After that survey, an additional eLearning option was released for our families. Due to this we are releasing an updated survey link today with all of your enrollment options. We are requesting for every Viera High family to take a survey by Monday, July 27, 2020 for each of their students, even if they filled out a prior survey for us.
Viera High School Enrollment Selection for 2020-2021 School Year: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=LGaFrd9pi0iFpI7ChwIywFiznhqtk8JNiNakLNTcq4xUQTM4VlBIMEdDUEUwUlpLQlRVSjVLTEtWQS4u
Yesterday, the School Board voted to approve a new calendar for the 2020-2021 school year. The first day of school for students has officially been changed to Monday, August 24, 2020. In addition to this, Viera High School and all Brevard secondary schools will operate on a block bell schedule for the 2020-2021 school year. A block schedule allows students to take four, 90-minute classes in the fall semester, and four, 90 minute classes in the spring semester. In a block schedule, yearlong courses are completed in one semester to earn one full credit and semester courses are complete in nine weeks to earn .5 credit for the course. Each student is expected to earn 4.0 credits per semester.
We acknowledge that families have many difficult decisions to make for the school year and want you to be aware of all of the enrollment options available to your student so that you can make the right decision for your student. Below are the options.
- Full Time in Person at Viera High School – Students will be scheduled in four courses on our campus for the fall semester and four courses for the spring semester.
- Full Time Brevard Virtual School (BVS) – Students will withdraw from Viera High School and enroll in Brevard Virtual School. Students will be taught on a block schedule by Brevard Virtual teachers utilizing the Florida Virtual School curriculum. Students can work at their own pace and have flexibility.
- Part Time In Person / Part Time Brevard Virtual School or Dual Enrollment – Students can select to take some courses on campus with Viera High School teachers and other courses through Dual Enrollment and/or Brevard Virtual School.
- Full Time Dual Enrollment – This option is available for students that meet the qualifications for dual enrollment at Eastern Florida State College. Dual Enrollment transportation will not be provided by the school district.
- eLearning from School at Home – Students will be enrolled in Viera High School and schedule for four courses in the fall and four courses in the spring with Viera High teachers. Students will access the course material from home at the same time it is taught on campus. Some e-Learning activities may require students to complete the task in person from time to time, particularly in elective courses that have hands-on components.
For further information about these options, please view a video from Dr. Soliven, Assistant Superintendent for Secondary Leading and Learning, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azJr_Bnplkc&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1bvfB5hwUN-zXc6x0qJDRIWxCy_w1Jp0wNum-xzL9_tJk0ix7j6_w5_g0
Please note that families must provide transportation during the day to accommodate their student’s schedule for all part-time enrollment options. Students may not remain on campus during times that they are not scheduled for live, in person instruction at Viera High School.
If you have any questions or would like to discusss your enrollment options, please contact us at 321-632-1770 or email VieraHigh@brevardschools.org. We will work with you to find the best option for your student.
Sarah Robinson, Principal
Viera High School